Today is the home release of Disney’s The Nutcracker and the Four Realms! We’re so excited that we made this fun Cotton Candy Playdough recipe. Inspired by the Sugar Plum Fairy, well her hair.
Cotton Candy Playdough | Inspired By The Sugar Plum Fairy
Not only have my girls already watched Disney’s The Nutcracker and the Four Realms about a bazillion times this past week. They are still in shock when they found out who the real villain was in the movie! These little girls were not happy at all. What they are happy about is the fact that the movie is finally out in Blu-ray/DVD and they own their own copy. Want your own? Make sure to scroll down to enter for a chance to win a copy of Disney’s The Nutcracker and the Four Realms.
Thank you, to Disney, for allowing me to attend The Nutcracker and the Four Realms movie press event last year and sending me a Blu-ray copy gift set. All sugar coated opinions are my own. This post contains affiliate links.
Cotton Candy Playdough Recipe
I think my girls favorite part of the entire movie is when the Sugar Plum Fairy plucks out a piece of cotton candy hair and eats it. I think they giggled for hours just because of this one scene. So, it was fitting that we make this yummy smelling cotton candy playdough recipe to celebrate the release of the film.
Cotton Candy Playdough Ingredients
- 2 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 5-6 drops of cotton candy flavoring (Amazon link below)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup salt
- 2 tablespoons of cream of tartar
- Pink and blue food coloring
Playdough Recipe Instructions
- Add the water, oil and cotton candy flavoring to a large saucepan. Whisk to combine.
- Next add the flour, salt, and cream of tartar and whisk until all of the ingredients are wet and the flour lumps have disappeared.
- Stir continuously over medium heat until a stiff ball of dough forms and you can no longer stir the dough easily (about 3-4 minutes). It will resemble a ball of pizza dough. Remove from heat.
- Transfer the warm playdough to a cutting board or flat surface. Knead for several minutes until dough is soft and pliable. Can you smell the sweet aroma of cotton candy yet?
- Divide the dough in half. Press your finger into the middle of each piece to create a small hole.
- In the first piece, add pink food coloring to the hole and knead until the color is evenly distributed.
*Tip: You may find it easier for the kiddos to knead the dough in a plastic bag to eliminate getting any food color on their hands. Add additional coloring, if necessary, to achieve your desired shade of pink.
- Add blue food coloring to the second piece of dough. Knead the dough until the color is evenly distributed.
How awesome is that? The best part is that you can combine the blue and pink together to create purple. Use your imagination to create all sorts of cotton candy playdough colors! Now, make sure that the kiddos don’t end up eating their playdough. It smells delightful, but unlike the Sugar Plum Fairy’s cotton candy hair, this one wouldn’t taste as good.
*Tip: Keep playdough in an airtight container for longer play days.
Disney’s The Nutcracker and the Four Realms Bonus Features
- On Pointe: A Conversation with Misty Copeland – Copeland shares the thrill of portraying one of her favorite characters in a whole new way.
- Unwrapping “The Nutcracker and the Four Realms” – Dive into the production design, sets, costumes and more that helped transform a beloved ballet into an adventurous movie.
- Deleted Scenes –
- The Stahlbaums Arrive– As the Stahlbaums enter the Christmas Eve ball, the butler attempts to announce them to the assembled guests.
- Follow Your Ribbon- Drosselmeyer encourages a reluctant Clara to go find her gift.
- Deleted Scene: Clara Asks About Her Mother– Sugar Plum gives Clara a tour of her mother’s bedroom.
- Left, Left, Left, Left, Left– Wandering lost in the forest, palace guards Cavalier and Harlequin quarrel about which way to go.
- Out with the Old– Sugar Plum makes sweeping changes to the palace decor.
- Music Videos – “
- “Fall on Me” Performed by Andrea Bocelli Featuring Matteo Bocelli– Experience superstar tenor Andrea Bocelli and his son Matteo Bocelli performing their first duet together in this uplifting song.
- “The Nutcracker Suite” Performed by Lang Lang– Get swept up in a series of images from the movie, set to Tchaikovsky’s music and featuring world-renowned pianist Lang Lang.
- Unwrapped: The Visual Effects of “The Nutcracker and the Four Realms”– View a reel that explores the layers of effects in sequences of the film.
About Disney’s The Nutcracker and the Four Realms
In “The Nutcracker and the Four Realms,” Clara travels along a golden thread, presented at Drosselmeyer’s (Morgan Freeman) annual party, eagerly searching for a one-of-a-kind key that will unlock a music box that holds a priceless gift. When she enters a mysterious parallel world, Clara encounters a Nutcracker soldier named Phillip (Jayden Fowora-Knight), a gang of mice and three Realm regents, including the Sugar Plum Fairy (Keira Knightley). Ultimately, she must brave the ominous Fourth Realm, home to the tyrant Mother Ginger (Helen Mirren), to retrieve the key and return harmony to the unstable world.
Disney’s The Nutcracker and the Four Realms Now Available on Blu-Ray/DVD
The Nutcracker and the Four Realms Blu-ray/DVD Movie Giveaway
We’ve partnered with Disney to bring you this amazing giveaway! Winner will be mailed a copy of The Nutcracker and the Four Realms Blu-Ray/DVD Multimedia edition. Open to the continental US, including Alaska & Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and Canada. Ends 2/08/19 at 11:59 PM EST. Enter using the Giveaway Tools form below. Two (2) winners will be chosen! Good Luck!
You Are Also Going To Love:
If you loved this Cotton Candy Playdough Recipe Inspired By The Sugar Plum Fairy, then you will also love the following Disney’s The Nutcracker articles I have put together for you:
Are your kids excited about The Nutcracker and the Four Realms coming home?